Re: Compressing Rman Disk Backups

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:56:31 +0300

You can also configure rman to create backup pieces not larger than let say 10GB.

You can use maxpiecesize in backup command to limit the backup piece sizes, Oracle will split them automatically. Then you manually compress these pieces (you can check with fuser whether rman still has the file open or not).

I haven't tried to a rman backup to a pipe, in theory you could set backup piece name to a constant pipe location, but I remember from somewhere that you can't do that (or do have problems with it).

Tanel.

> All,
>
> I am attempting to perform Rman disk backups on a data warehouse. While
the
> disk backup runs fine, the size of the output files are, of course, huge.
> What I would like to do is to pipe the output of the Rman backup while it
is
> running to something like Gzip so that the file gets created compressed.
My