Re: [Q] undo tablespace did not release space?? (less quoting)

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:18:38 -0700

The allocation algorithm in 9i is such that a 'full' tablespace is
not necessarily a bad thing. When a transaction needs additional undo space, it will acquire space from the existing undo segments,
until then it will keep the undo entries around. IIRC, SMON will periodically clean up the undo tablespace. The bottom line is to not
worry about a full tablespace, only worry about 1555 errors.

As for the automatic v. manual (rollback) debate, at Hotsos a very
solid source said that AUM is not recommended for high-volume OLTP
systems. As this is not the 'official' Oracle stance, I won't name
names, but I respect this person's opinion and find myself in agreement.

In the meantime, I suggest you acquire the only guaranteed AUM Management tool...a good bottle of Scotch!

Regards,
Daniel