Re: optimal storage parameters for heavy inserts tables

From: <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 06:37:02 -0500 (EST)

Syed,

   In such a case what you mostly have to look for is dynamic allocation (not very good if Oracle spends a lot of time adding new extents, it's costly), contention, and internal table fragmentation.   To Niall's suggestion of giving due attention to free-lists I would add a few points :

There is also something I see too often, which is overindexing. Index maintenance is extremely costly, so if you can get rid of a number of them, all the better.

You may also be interested in considering things such as reverse indexes, which come with a number of gotchas (basically, wave farewell to range scans). IOTs may also be worth considering in some cases.

HTH S Faroult