Metadata tool for Oracle

From: Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:22:32 +0200

We are starting to look for metadata tool for Oracle. I am thinking that the tool need to satisfy the following requirements: The text in () is my reason for the requirement.

  1. Web based, or at least LAN based. (so I will not have to upgrade work stations with new versions)
  2. Allow the developers to alter definitions in the repository WITHOUT making changes in the Oracle database.
    ( I want to be able to review their changes before changing the test
    environment).
  3. Allow the administrator to view these changes and change/delete them.
    ( Override the developer changes if necessary)
  4. Create and optionally run scripts to implement the changes in the Oracle test database, with possible fallback.
    ( Implement the changes with minimum administrator work)
  5. Allow to gather several iterations of steps 2 & 3 into one version.
  6. Create and optionally run scripts to move the new version into production with backup and fallback options.
    ( Just to be of the very safe side)
  7. Be able to read the database and create base for changes.
    ( No need to reinput all the metadata for existing applications)

Now for my questions:

  1. Do you think these requirements are enough or have I missed something important?
  2. Do you know a tool that do this?

TIA Yechiel Adar
Mehish