RE: tkprof and Statspack

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:07:29 -0600

Deep

   My apologies for the terse reply yesterday. I was just leaving my home and wasn't sure if anyone else would post a weekend reply to your question.

   For STATSPACK, the major online resource that I am aware of is a series of 3 articles that appeared in Oracle Magazine last year. Here is a link to the second in the series:
http://otn.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/03-mar/o23expert.html If you are studying Oracle tuning, you should be aware of the limitations of both of these tools. STATSPACK uses overall system statistics. In his book Optimizing Oracle Performance, Cary Millsap does a good job of explaining the dangers of drawing conclusions from summarized information. You can read chapter 1 of the book at:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/optoraclep/chapter/ch01.pdf

   TKPROF summarizes Oracle trace files. Cary's book advocates Oracle trace files as the best way to analyze Oracle performance problems. If you search Google for Oracle 10046 you will see how to generate more detailed traces. Cary's book is the most thorough resource for learning how to read and interpret raw trace files. But first I would recommend going to his web site www.hotsos.com and reviewing the free material.

   I hope this posting doesn't sound too biased, but there are many, many experts offering tuning advice. This has been confusing to me, a mere practicing DBA. Much of this advice was developed before Oracle started including detailed information in trace files. The general consensus of people a lot more expert than I am is that Cary is the current leader in Oracle tuning theory and practice.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com