RE: transition from win32 to *nix64

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:57:12 -0800 (PST)

Just Linux, starting with RH 5.1.
read lots of texts (Cockroft, Alomari, Morle) and maintain 3 RH servers currently.
I think that I have 2 years of experience, 4 times over, not 8 years of experience.

> My theory is that moving to a new
> platform produces frustration. Things you could do
> easily on the old system
> are difficult on the new system until you
> incorporate the mindset of the new
> system. Frustration is more easily dealt with when
> you understand that it is
> just a temporary inconvenience. Just my 2 cents
> worth.
>
> Dennis Williams
> DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Thanks for your comments, Dennis.
The real indicator is how things are during a restore/recovery scenario.
I haven't practiced those yet on Linux.

Doesn't reading slashdot since its inception make one a grepmaster? I think that I have some of the mindset. Having an impressive shelf full of animals does not make one a good SA (there is quite the O'Reilly collection at home).

There's lots of details specific to any OS, like choosing optimal filesystems, getting async_io to work properly, but most of those are solved problems thanks to those on the list that blaze that trail for the rest of us (thanks Joe, Nuno).

Paul

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html