RE: 10g on Win32

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:39:07 -0600

Win2K Pro, 8i R3, 9iR1, 9ir2, and 10g.

I've been struggling with some of these issues, and have things working. When I installed, 9.2 listener was running and TNS_ADMIN was pointing to the 9.2 network\admin directory. Here I was manually tweaking listener.ora and tnsnames.ora in the 10g network\admin directory. After setting TNS_ADMIN to the 10G directory, everything is fine. I use IPC for everything, and with the 10G listener I can connect to all 4 versions of the databases. But, I can't connect to 8.1.7.0.0 using the 10G version of SQL*Plus -- I get the error message you refer to. I think I remember someone saying that it could connect to the latest release of 8.1.7.

Trickier was OEM. In the emoms.properties file was a connect string, fully qualifying everything -- e.g.
"oracle.sysman.eml.mntr.emdRepConnectDescriptor=(DESCRIPTION\=(ADDRESS_LIST\ =(ADDRESS\=(PROTOCOL\=TCP)(HOST\=LARRY)(PORT\=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA\=(SERVICE _NAME \=O10G)))". I finally just yanked it out altogether. One issue that I'm working on is that with the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora only specifying IPC I could not connect through OEM (I tweaked the connect string above to an IPC type of connect, as well as numerous changes in the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files, no luck). I had to go ahead and configure a TCP/IP listener location, and create a tcp/ip entry in addition to the IPC entry in the tnsnames.ora file. In fact, I had a draft email ready to send asking if anyone knows if you have to have a tcp/ip based entries to use OEM. That's the only way I've been able to get it to work. And I was up all night working on it. I'm still going through other configuration files, docs, etc to try to get the answer.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781