RE: Dataguard - primary database moved to another server

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:56:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi Chris,

I think (i'm not completely sure) the resetlogs killed to standby.

I think there is a better way of doing the job. When I install a DG-environment I perform a hot backup from the primary to the standby. This can be done whilst the primary is up and running. What I suggest is:

Define a second standby, situated at the destination server. Instantiate the thing, using rman/hot backup/scripts/manual, whatever you like. Preferrably through the network, via tape is also possible. After succesfull instatiation and putting the new standby in managed recovery mode (check if the log-switch actually causes recovery activity at the new standby)you perform a smooth switchover from the primary to the new standby database, which will have the standby defined in an log_archive_dest_n as well. This will result in a new primary, having two standby's: The old standby and the old primary. Then you stop the old primary, and remove its references from the new primary and old standby. This is will cause you only a small hickup during switchover. I think this is a more robust move, that will also cause you less downtime. Probably most of the activities can be done during office-hours as well, depending on the available bandwith and resource-consumption.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===