Re: Am I the only one who finds this offensive?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:00:02 -0500

OK, I apologized and I thought that should be the end of this, but now when you ask, I am of Jewish descent and I my grandfather lost a brother in WWII, which would, I imagine, be my relative had I ever known him. Being born in 1961, I was very fortunate indeed not to experience either WWII or the holocaust. When I used that phrase (a very stupid thing, indeed, I admit), I used it to signify strict and brutal discipline, not killing of any kind. I am a person of an extremely liberal persuasion and anybody who knows me would find an idea of me spreading a Nazi propaganda completely and utterly ridiculous. Once again, I apologize to anyone whom I might have offended and let me assure you that nobody could condemn Nazi atrocities more strongly then myself. I am coming from Europe and my sense of humor is formed accordingly. For instance, I found the "unrehearsed wardrobe malfunction" during the super-bowl game funny and not at all disconcerting or disturbing. I saw few equally serious crimes against fashion today on the train and yet nobody was paying any attention. So, please, let's leave this topic behind us. I didn't want to offend anybody, I do have a sense of humor that obviously needs some more work and I hope that would be the end of this unfortunate debate. Paul, what exactly is the point of this prolonged debate? If you want me to admit that I blurted out a very stupid thing indeed, I'll gladly accommodate you.

On 03/24/2004 10:04:47 PM, Paul Baumgartel wrote:
> With all respect, Mogens, I'm assuming that neither you nor Mladen
> experienced the Nazi occupation, having been born after World War II.
> No offense may have been intended, but in my opinion, the post revealed
> extremely poor judgement and a great deal of insensitivity.
>
> Paul
> --- Mogens_N?rgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk> wrote:
> > Both Mladen and I are from countries that had the pleasure of real
> > German occupation. Not that it can be compared in any way to the
> > sufferings of the Jews, Gypsies and other groups during the war, but
> > that's the history we both grew up with. No offense was intended from
> >
> > Mladen, except of course to the developers of the world :).
> >
> > Mogens
> >
> > Paul Baumgartel wrote:
> >
> > > I've not been paying a whole lot of attention to the list today,
> > but I
> > > just ran across this:

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA