Re: using dbms_alert on logical standby database

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:17:52 +0200

What are you planning to do with DBMS_ALERT? How will it be kicked? LSB doesn't fire the triggers that were fired on the primary. Furthermore, be carefull with LSB. Once it runs, it can be running quite fine, but a lot of restrictions apply. Administration isn't that easy, either. When the standby fails, creating (instatiating) a new SB requires quiescing the primary.
Be aware that the LSB only applies the SQL-statements generated in the redologfile _after_ a log switch. When you have an hourly logswitch the standby will catch up only once an hour. Another thing to look at carefully is the transactionrate at the primary. There is only a limited number of processes that can perform the transactions at the standby. The serialisation caused by this can seriously affect the maximum throughput at the standby.

Regards, Carel-Jan

At 09:29 PM 3/24/2004, you wrote:
>We are planning using DBMS_ALERT (and possibly DBMS_AQ) for alerts (and
>events) on a new Oracle 9i RAC database (running Data Guard
>primary/logical standby). The plan is to do the reporting from the logical
>standby side. Are there any drawbacks or things to look out for in using
>DBMS_ALERT (and related build-in packages) from the logical standby side
>(instead of the primary side)?
>
>Regards,
>
>William

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===

DBA!ert, Independent Oracle Consultancy
Kastanjelaan 61C
2743 BX Waddinxveen
The Netherlands