Re: Hot Backups -- to Disk OR to tape direct

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:20:00 +0100 (CET)

Hemant,

I think not the backup, but the restore requirements should be the driving force. Just ask the managemen/check the SLA for how much time is allowed for a restore!

When the backup to tape is simply tar'ed or cpio'ed, restoring all file, or just the the last one, might well exceed this timeframe.

When 80 GB is large, given the cost of disks, I would always store at least one backup (probably more) on disk. Recovery from a human error, or just a storage error not affecting the server itself can be pretty much faster then.

Too often backup is taken as the starting point, where the restore/recovery process should be taken to define the requirements for the backup.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===