Re: duplicating a database

From: Markus Reger <reger_at_mdw.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 07:37:09 +0100

you are right and it's a typo. should read and was effectuated as PROD-site.

>>> philip.douglass_at_il.proquest.com 03/23/04 19:47 PM >>> Shouldn't you have created your new control-files with this?

    CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "PROD-site" RESETLOGS ... why would you create the new controlfiles with the old database name?

Also, there's a lot of other work that needs to be done if you changed the SID too.

Other than that, what you did is fine. I've done similar things myself on 8.0 databases, but it did require me to search/replace many references to the old SID. I've since become fond of using RMAN to duplicate databases, since I can do it without taking down my source db.

In any case, I really hope you turn on archive logging on your production box, at least.

what I did (regardless of what I should or shouldn't) was:

made a cold backup of a 92030 instance. for the sake of explanation call it DEV-site
moved it to a 92040 site, let's call it PROD-site. on the PROD-site I replaced all files with those from the DEV-site (except control-files). I created new control-files (CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "DEV-site" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG. .... )
then I started up in migrate, ran "@?/rdbms/admin/catpatch.sql" - as supposed when applying patch set 92040 on a 92 instance. platforms on both sites are Solaris 9.
Everything looks alright. How did I get the idea? studied to many papers about (physical) standbys.
BUT: may I sleep well?
pleading forgiveness if this is just a stupid question. if so - even rebukes are welcome ... or some sleeping pills
kr MReger