Re: OCP Preperation -Any Recommended Books , Links , Docs ?

From: Arghadeep Chatterjee <dba_at_magma.co.in>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:34:19 +0530

Hi Chris,
I joined lazydba after I did my OCP 8i I was over the clouds thinking I knew Oracle and to be honest the first day at the forum I realised how little I know then I joined oracle-l that made it miserable still.Now if someone asks me I tell I am learning Oracle and this is my fourth year learning it.Saying this I got a call from a head hunter yesterday on my cell for a opening and he says "SIr I think you are the right person with right exposure and you are also OCP" so till such things exist we have to do a bit of charity by clearing the exams.Atleast in India. Regards
Deep

  I wholeheartedly agree. ...but I think it is also true that even among non-dba types, the legitimacy of the ocp is declining due to the fact that there are so many people out there that pass the tests because they have a 'question repository'. I remember trying to aquire the classroom documentation via the internet because my company would not send me to the classes (nor did I want to go to the class). In my search I came across several dba forums where the exact questions and answers were laid out for everyone to see. ...it's crap. ...it's also one of the (probably too few) times in my life where I took the moral high road and went on to the next google hit...often not before posting a nasty message to the forum.

  Hell...I studied the documentation from the classes and investigated what I didn't understand via working through examples and referencing the official documentation. I felt pretty good about getting the certification and felt I was a fully competent dba. ...and then I joined this list and realized just how little I knew. ...I shudder to think what has happened at companies where some newly knighted ocp lands a production dba gig with all the confidence that (sometimes) comes by passing the tests. ...I struggle with not screwing things up as it is! J

  I know this has been discussed before.......but this hits home. I am currently looking for a job and because I don't personally feel I'm at the sr. dba level and as a result don't market myself as such, my resume probably gets lumped in with a bunch of people who hold certifications but can't do a d_at_mn thing!! ...and given the current market situation, it's not a fun place to be!

  Woo. That felt good. ...back to reading oracle design. ...thanks mogens for reminding me just how good this book is!

  chris

  From: Kommareddy, Srinivas (MED, Wissen Infotech)   [mailto:Srinivas.Kommareddy_at_med.ge.com]   Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 3:51 AM
  To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org;
  "'=SMTP:oracledba_at_lazydba.com'"@int-nj2gw-1.online-age.net   Subject: RE: OCP Preperation -Any Recommended Books , Links , Docs ?

  Hi,

  Do you need an easy way ?

  ping me personallly if you need the question bank. You willl get more than   60-70% of the questions in the exam from this question bank.

  Thanks and Regads,
  Srinivas