Re: Re: Controlling developers is like herding cats

From: david wendelken <davewendelken_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:14:18 -0800 (PST)

RE: Re: Controlling developers is like herding cats

Juan,

You are quite right, knowing where the time goes can be very useful.

Years ago, our programmers and analysts were spending a large amount of their time on help desk issues like "my computer doesn't work" (because it wasn't turned on or the network was down).
This severely hurt our ability to meet deadlines for new applications.  We complained, but we just got stomped on by upper mgmt because we (obviously!) weren't working hard enough.

So, one lunch, we sketched out a simple timesheet application and worked a few nights extra to knock it out.

We spent one month entering in our time.  At the end of the month, we gave the results to our manager, who was able to show them that about 40% of their expensive programming resources was being used to handle situations that a much less expensive employee could handle.   Suddenly, we got funding for a help desk!  They did the math.

David Wendelken