RE: Database for WebSphere5

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:42:51 -0500

April,

Really? We are running Websphere version 5.0 against our 9.2.0.4 database. Either I am taking a big risk (not) or your source of information is wrong! :)

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

From: Peter Barnett [ mailto:regdba_at_yahoo.com <mailto:regdba_at_yahoo.com> ] Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 9:19 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Database for WebSphere5

We just upgraded to WebSphere5. During user acceptance testing I discovered that the WAS schema has exactly TWO tables. Investigating further, I found out that these two tables are dynamic. When someone logs in these tables are populated and when the user logs out the data is deleted.

Out of the box, WAS will install a default DB2 database on the same server as the application server.  Even though I am an Oracle bigot, it seems silly to pay for cpu licensing for two small tables. I am leaning toward asking our middle-ware administrators to use the default install and save the cpu licensing expense for Oracle.

Does anyone have any experience with this configuration? Especially, hidden gotchas, like DB2 cpu licensing?

Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group
pnbarne_at_regence.com

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html <http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html>

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com <http://www.orafaq.com>

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is
strictly confidential and for the intended use of the addressee only; it may
also contain proprietary, price sensitive, or legally privileged
information. Notice is hereby given that any disclosure, distribution,
dissemination, use, or copying of the information by anyone other than the
intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you have
by reply e-mail, delete this communication, and destroy all copies.

Corporate Systems, Inc. has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any
attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses. We specifically
disclaim all liability and will accept no responsibility for damage
sustained as a result of software viruses and advise you to carry out your
own virus checks before opening any attachment.