RE: difference between child and parent latches?

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:39:30 -0800 (PST)

Tanel:

You have hit the nail on its head. _kghdsisx_count defines the number of sub-pools (or in other words, number of latches for shared pool) inside the shared pool. This is introduded to have bigger shared pool sizes without having a latch contention problem. But I have never seen that working as expected :(

Very true. Recently I had the same problem with shared pool was erring with 4031 for 2k chunks though the freepsace inside shared pool was more than 400 MB (the shared pool was set to 1.6G for a 10 thousand sessions) and the culprit was sub pools. Once we reduced the subpools lower value from 7, the problem vanished :)

So it is good to have multiple sub pools, but the results may vary :)