Re: Re: Controlling developers is like herding cats, to the point

From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:18:39 -0400

I think this kind of things are unevitable in a medium database, the point I t alk about is more
critical, you haev to do a project, how you assign, how you know what is doing every person,
how do you control the time he is using in every task. Not only to control a person, too to detect other kind of problems, if a person takes 10 hours every week executing backups, you could start to think to find a way to improve them.
But to know that you need a way to measure. What do you use ryan, do you use gannt, write in excel, in a workbook, etc. I this could be very interesting to share the techniques we use, to improve them.

For example ryan, how do you replicate the changes done in test database in production, do you have a script in a folder, where you are pasting all the changes.
do you compare databases and generate a script?? How do you do?

> thought I know how people feel when they get that error...
>
> just about an hour ago
>
> 1. I get an email stating that an object doesn't exist. It's because the
developers are looking in the wrong database.
> 2. So I lock all the accounts in the database and bounce it. I send out an
email stating that all the accounts in this database are locked and which databases they should be using.
> 3. I then get a screen shot with the following error:
>
> ORA-28000: the account is locked
>
> Dont you just love build day?
> >
> > From: "Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco" <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
> > Date: 2004/03/22 Mon PM 01:18:22 EST
> > To: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
> > Subject: Re: Re: Controlling developers is like herding cats, to the
point

> > Ryan how you organize your job, what we do Very very simple.
> >
> > what we had done is develop a software that create a task orders,
> > the advantage of them is when you say something, you know in some moment
> > this is
> > going to be done.
> > The second is a time management, every time you start to do a job, you
> > select from a lov your current job, this allow to measure the time you
> > invest in every task.
> > There are generic tasks, like phone calls, meetings, etc.
> > And the person who gives the task must do a brief quality control after.
> >
> > weekly there are reports so you can see what a specific person did, an
> > analyze why he took too much time doing something,or you can get
knowledge
> > about a problem you didn't knew.
> >
> > Aditionally we created a software to create releases by object, this is
if
> > you create a database object, you enter in the database, so to update
> > production database you generate the releases you did.
> >
> > Obviously there are dozens of details, but this is the general idea,
this is
> > very intesresting, because which is the other chance you have.
> > to Say to you partner why you take too much time?
> > Then he says, because there were other problems,
> > In that way you can't control, not only the work, else the problems
there
> > are too, and the exactly time there are investing in them.

It's
> > also a lack of technical skill amongst Developer's and/or DBA problem.

> > organization
DBA,