RE: Partitioning Question (1 of several)

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:24:48 -0500

Well, I'm certainly not the partitioning expert, but I think what it's saying is that if the index is partitioned differently from the table, then for index access paths, they are eligible for partition pruning, even if said pruning is not compatible with the table's partition scheme. This makes sense, since the index is global and partitioned, partition pruning can happen at index access time, then whatever index access operation is dictated, then the requisite table access by rowid to get any required data from the table. Since it's a global index, the rowids in the index entries from the index partition that was utilized, may point to any table rows in any table partition.

-Mark