Re: Hardware / OS recommendation

From: Arghadeep Chatterjee <dba_at_magma.co.in>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:36:56 +0530

I would recommend sticking with Linux b'coz we dont think Oracle will stop supporting it from some years to come on that my personal fav is fedora and RH series.On the boxes front on 64 bit scenario (the world is doing that I dont think you would want to stick arnd to 32 bit and face the not supported trauma allover again but this will certainly take time) both Intel Itanium and AMD's Opteron road maps are hazy.I would suggest you to stick on to a low end RISC box something like rp2470 b'coz hp is game with both Intel and AMD and at a leter date if they stop supporting RISC and promote the winner (btw Itanium and Opteron) they are bound by law either to suport the RISC boxes or to upgrade them so your investment is safe.This security I dont think you will get from SUN or IBM as they are still trying to make it alone.
Hope this helps
Deep