Re: Question about Connection Pooling...

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 06:13:43 +0200

There is a difference between connection pooling and session pooling in Oracle. You might have a pre-allocated pool of connections, but every app server request to database still creates a new session using one of the connections in connection pool.

If you want even better scalability, go with session pooling (done either by app server code or OCI), but if you got need for stateful sessions, then you can't use PL/SQL package variables for saving the states of a session, global application contexts and client_id should be used instead.

OCI supports both connection and session pooling, I don't know about IIS.

Tanel.