Re: Node in a 2 cluster RAC environment keeps failing over

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:58:59 +0100

In the bank I worked in from 87 to 90, Peter Gram and the other super-nerds would take in the Olivetti M24 PC's where the hard drive would constantly freeze and caaaaarefully lift up the right hand side of the unit about 10 cm's off the table, then let it drop. That would always free the drive.

What was funny was when end users called in with the problem. The guys - the Peter Grams of the world - would then instruct them over the phone:

PGs: "Please lift - VERY CAREFULLY - the unit in the right hand side about 10 cm's up in the air. Careful!"
User (excited, scared): "OK, I'm HOLDING it now..."

PG's: "Now release it - drop it!"
User: "What?!?!?"
PG's: "Drop it. Let it go. Suddenly!"

<WHUMP>
User: "It's done. What now?"
PG's: "Try to start up the PC again..."
User: "It works!"

Peter Gram knows many such stories.

I bought an M24 SP (Special Performance - 10 MHz instead of 8, 20 MB harddisk, 640 MB RAM, monochrome) in 1986 just before joining the bank. It cost me - believe it or not - 42K Danish Kroner. Of course. I think I finished paying for it a couple of years ago.

Mogens