Re: Create view using CAST to change datatype

From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:08:19 -0400

Aditionally i verified definetively in 9i, '' is the same that null, WHEN INSERTING TO THE TABLE, NOT
when doing a query.
SQL> create table test1 ( label varchar2(1), thenull varchar(1));

Tabla creada.

SQL> insert into test values('a','');
insert into test values('a','')

            *
ERROR en lƯnea 1:
ORA-00942: la tabla o vista no existe

SQL> insert into test1 values('a','');

1 fila creada.

SQL> insert into test1 values('b',null);

1 fila creada.
SQL> select * from test1 where thenull is null; <-- using null you get both

L T
- -

SQL> select * from test1 where thenull =''; <--- using '' you get nothing

ninguna fila seleccionada

SQL>