RE: index rebuild

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:10:45 -0000

Hi Mark

Do you have index lookup followed by table access by rowid in mind here, if you can reduce the number of leaf blocks then you will likely aid any scan operations on the index (including range scans not just ffs). Of course you will also with most apps just increase the likelyhood of block splits occurring...

I believe Tanel suggested on this list a while back that a good test is to run two sets of realistic workload against the database, one lot including index rebuilds and one not and time the overall elapsed time of the workload, rather than the more common test of issue a query, rebuild the index and issue the same query with no data changes and voila its all faster. I like this test a lot.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805