Re: Recovery -- Can't place tablespace offline ?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:21:49 +1000

Hi Prem,

When you place a tablespace offline, Oracle attempts to perform a checkpoint on the datafiles associated with the tablespace to ensure it's consistent after it's offline (else how do you write the dirty blocks in memory after it's offline ?).

The problem of course is that the datafile(s) is stuffed and the checkpoint can't be completed.

Therefore you need to use the 'immediate' clause to let Oracle know that a checkpoint is not possible (or 'temporary' where Oracle will checkpoint what datafiles it can).

The outstanding dirty blocks then get written to a deferred rollback segment and applied when the tablespace is recovered and brought back online.

Cheers

Richard