Re: Oracle does not (always) understand French - was RE: Use of the q uote / apostrophe in text fields

From: Michael Möller <m2_at_email.dk>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:55:42 +0100

"best" is such a relative term (as in: "it depends") that it spells "jobsecurity" for any consulancy-speaker at many Oracle-meets. :-)

Anyhow, either you *can* represent your desired character in the client AND the database set or you *can not*. Whether the character is essential for your language is your choice. Depending on whether the desired character is missing in the client set or the database set and your storing or retrieveing you get the various combinations of substitue characters (the accentless E) or the "?"-character. And if you lie (as in define the wrong characterset to the one you are using) you get "corrupted" characters. (I wont bore you with al the combinations just now). Som charactersets in Oracle have a defined Substition Table where it is specified what character to use in the defined set to store a character not in the defined set (thats what happened with the appstrophed-E). The default is to substitute the "?" (or inverted "?", depends on the set).

To see what characters you DO have in your client and database set use the Locale Builder (lbuilder - names varies slightly with platform), if your Java/GUI can cope with it you can see the characters. us ethe Open File By Object and select the characterset to exmaine, then go to the CharacterMapping tab.

M-square