Re: MTS versus dedicated for resolving a ORA-04031.

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:49:22 -0700

Chris,

You're killing yourself by using MTS and not allocating Large Pool. The Large Pool is designed to accommodate MTS; the Shared Pool is not. In fact, depending on your reasons for using MTS, you could really be suffering severe contention for Shared Pool latches by having MTS remain there.

Check V$SESSTAT for "uga" sizing information during peak periods, double or triple what you see (depending on how confident you are about whether you witnessed a true "peak" period), and then allocate that much to the Large Pool. You'll see a world of difference when you get all those UGAs for MTS shared sessions out of the Shared Pool.

Hope this helps...

-Tim