FW: Solaris 8 alternate libraries

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:50:38 -0500

Anyone ever tried this? Did it do any good?

Thanks,

-Mark

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company
Ann Arbor, MI
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." --Horace Walpole

From: Steve Cote [mailto:Steve.Cote_at_Sun.COM] Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 8:40 PM
To: bill.tripp_at_proquest.com
Cc: Jim Kelty; Peeyush Consul
Subject: Solaris 8 alternate libraries

Bill,

Thank you for meeting Jim and I for lunch last Wednedsday. I promised that I would send you directions for trying out the alternate thread libraries in Solaris 8. We have seen between 10%-25% I/O performance improvement on some Oracle installs using the new libraries. These new thread libraries are the default libraries in Solaris 9.

Here are the steps to use the Solaris 8 ALTERNATE THREAD LIB -

  1. shutdown the oracle instance
  2. export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp:/usr/lib
  3. bring up the instance using -

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/lwp/libthread.so:/usr/lib/lwp/libthread_db.so sqlplus "/as sysdba"

        d. leave the Unix session and not use that for any purpose like telnet, ftp .

The alternate thread libraries will be active for the Oracle application

only. In Solaris 9 all applications accessing the thread libraries will

be using this by default. Try this on one of your development servers and see if it has any benefits for your applications. At the very least

it will give you a good idea on how they will work on Solaris 9.

Thanks again,

Steve

        /_____/\             Steve Cote
       /_____\\ \            Sun Microsytems