RE: how to find the most resource intensive sql?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:13:55 +0000

I do the following
> > 'A user comes to you and says they get to a point in the
> application and
> hit
> > a button. It's slow. You do not have any access to the
> application. How do
> > you find the problem query in the database'
>
> In a (preferably) test system, ask the user to get to the
> point just before
> the "button".

So far so good

> Flush the shared_pool, then push the button.

Then I don't flush the shared_pool but press the button on my monitoring app that issues DBMS_SYSTEM.SET_TRACE_IN_SESSION(:SID,:SERIAL,TRUE,FALSE); Other than this one button it's a really bad monitoring app. I use it for the above and answering 'how many people are logged onto server X' only.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805

This email contains information intended for the addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or
professional privilege. Any dissemination, distribution, copyright or use of this
communication without prior permission of the sender is strictly prohibited.