HOW TO: Mail containing multilingual text from database

From: Suneet <suneet.madhok_at_patni.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:48:01 +0530

Hi List,

How do we send data in multilingual format via mails in Oracle?

A scheduled backend job has to generate mail with data fetched from db tables containing multilingual text.
A procedure is called that pulls data from tables, does some calculations and then generates a message body text. This text contains multilingual characters. Have tried using utl_tcp, utl_smtp but couldnt get it done.

I got OUTLOOK as mail client. Now when i recieve mails sent via db procedure implementing utl_tcp, i see junk characters. What could be the problem here? How do i identify whether its a problem in sending mail through backend or there is some setting in OUTLOOK that i've to do.

Database Settings:
Ver = 9.2.0.1.0
NLS_CHARACTERSET = AL32UTF8
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = AL16UTF16 Outlook settings:
OUTLOOK -> Tools -> Options -> Mail Format -> International Options -> Use this encoding for unmarked received messages: Unicode (UTF-8)

Any pointers..??

Thnx
Suneet