RE: Oracle Performance

From: Whittle Jerome Contr NCI <Jerome.Whittle_at_scott.af.mil>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:43:43 -0600

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I use the Rule hint for troubleshooting. If it works much faster with the Rule hint, obviously something else needs investigating like analyzing tables or using histograms. If using Rule is slower, that also gives me some ideas. If using Rule doesn't make any difference and the SQL is still slow, maybe there needs to be an index or some other way of writing the SQL.

Using the Rule hint is a good, quick troubleshooting method but not normally the fix.

Jerry Whittle
ASIFICS DBA
NCI Information Systems Inc.
jerome.whittle_at_scott.af.mil