RE: Unix script to check database status

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:28:52 -0800

If you try a bogus userid/password and use the ORA-1017 as "proof" that the database is up, you wouldn't know if the database is in restricted session mode. (Something that has burned me before.) I personally think the best way for verifying that the database is up is to create a session (create a userid that only has "create session" privilege and use that for verification.