Re: Maximum height of an Oracle B-tree index

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 05:03:27 -0800

Got to a blevel of 20. There is rumored to be hard limit of 23 levels on a b*tree index as implemented by Oracle, maybe I will give that a try later.

05:00:09 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill_at_dv03 SQL> set echo on
05:00:13 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill_at_dv03 SQL> @r
05:00:14 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill_at_dv03 SQL>
05:00:14 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill_at_dv03 SQL> select count(*) from t;

  COUNT(*)

    289810

1 row selected.

05:00:38 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill_at_dv03 SQL>
05:00:38 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill_at_dv03 SQL> select height
05:00:38   2          , name
05:00:38   3          , blocks
05:00:38   4          , br_blks
05:00:38   5          , br_rows
05:00:38   6          , distinct_keys
05:00:38   7  from index_stats
05:00:38   8  /

    HEIGHT NAME       BLOCKS    BR_BLKS    BR_ROWS DISTINCT_KEYS
---------- ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- -------------
        20 TIDX       580096     289821     289809         18059

1 row selected.

05:00:38 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill_at_dv03 SQL>

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
 03/10/2004 02:31 PM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Maximum height of an Oracle B-tree index

Hi Jared/Tin and all,

I believe that was precisely how Steve managed it, very small block size, large pctfree, a bit of cleverness and heaps of storage (until it ran out). He mentioned it btw at the Hotsos tuning class in Sydney last year.

So far the best I've heard privately is height of 6.

Can anyone do better ?

Cheers

Richard