RE: ora-04031

From: Feighery Raymond <Raymond.Feighery_at_churchill.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:52:39 -0000

I had a similar problem with 9iAS, MTS and the Large Pool. As Apache was indefinitely reusing each HTTP child server process for multiple requests the memory the child process required in the Large Pool constantly increased until ORA-4031.

The solution was to set MaxRequestsPerChild to > 0 (e.g. 50). It defaults to 0 (unlimited). Setting it to non-zero may incur a small performance hit.

Here's a script I copied from somewhere (sorry unknown author) which may help diagnose your problem.

It may also help to set an event e.g. event = "4031 trace name errorstack level 4" to generate a trace when the error occurs.

By the way, what version of iAS, RDBMS and OS are you on?

Ray

prompt ***********************************
prompt ***********************************
prompt Diagnosing ORA-4031
prompt ***********************************
prompt ***********************************
prompt THE SGA
select * from v$sgastat;
PROMPT SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_MIN_ALLOC
select val.ksppstvl VALUE
from x$ksppi nam,
x$ksppsv val
where nam.indx = val.indx
and nam.ksppinm = '_shared_pool_reserved_min_alloc' order by 1
/
SELECT free_space, avg_free_size, used_space, avg_used_size, request_failures, last_failure_size FROM v$shared_pool_reserved;
prompt The ORA-04031 is a result of lack of contiguous space in the shared pool
prompt reserved space if:
prompt REQUEST_FAILURES is > 0 and LAST_FAILURE_SIZE is > prompt SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_MIN_ALLOC.
prompt To resolve this consider increasing SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_MIN_ALLOC to lower
prompt the number of objects being cached into the shared pool reserved space and
prompt increase SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_SIZE and SHARED_POOL_SIZE to increase the
prompt available memory in the shared pool reserved space. prompt The ORA-04031 is a result of lack of contiguous space in the library cache if:
prompt REQUEST_FAILURES is > 0 and LAST_FAILURE_SIZE is < prompt SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_MIN_ALLOC
prompt or
prompt REQUEST_FAILURES is 0 and LAST_FAILURE_SIZE is < SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_MIN_ALLOC -----Original Message-----
From: George Leonard [mailto:leonarge_at_vodacom.co.za] Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 10:23 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: ora-04031

Hi there

It seems this did not help. (problem was not on the application server infrastructure database)

And as for the production database the shared pool is huge and most of it is unused and free.

I am looking at scripts to see if I can figure out what the problem is.

George

George Leonard
Oracle Database Administrator
Dimension Data (Pty) Ltd
(Reg. No. 1987/006597/07)
Tel: (+27 11) 575 0573
Fax: (+27 11) 576 0573
E-mail:george.leonard_at_za.didata.com
Web: http://www.didata.co.za

You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a Person You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity! Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk, Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!