Re: Funny sort of question re sys password

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:10:05 -0500

On 03/10/2004 09:32:28 AM, Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco wrote:
> The principle of security says
> if you have access to the server (the physical computer) you have
> access to its data.

There is no such principle. If I'm really worried about security, all my data will be encrypted, using an unbreakable algorithm (TM), like 56bit DES. Quit staring at me, Oracle is unbreakable too, so why not 56bit DES or WEP? The bottom line is that even if you have access to the server, you don't have access to the data, because you cannot decrypt it. Even if you log in as SYSDBA, you don't get to see the data. You can destroy it, but you cannot read it.