Fw: "Deallocate Unused" not releasing space above HWM

From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:16:23 -0400

Sorry I missed the other tablespace

One idea could be to use
alter table move TO OTHER TABLESPACE

  Hi All
   I am trying to reclaim the wasted space (huge deletes), which are above the HWM. I had analysed the table before and got the "empty_blocks" details from dba_tables.   I am using the following query,
   alter table tab1 deallocate unused;
  and then to bring down the HWM,
  alter table tab1 move tablespace AR_DATA; ---- Moved within the same tablespace   and then I had rebuilt all the corresponding indexes.   As a last step, I had coalesced the tablespace.   Next day (because SMON is not going to clear it up immediately), I had analyzed the tables again and got the "empty_blocks" details from dba_tables.   When I look the empty_blocks, for some tables it has not yet released the space.

  Am I missing any steps? I searched Metalink, but it looks like I have covered everything that needs to be.   I have one more question. To really reclaim the space, do I have to move the table out of its own tablespace ?   Any thoughts are most welcome.

  Thanks and Regards
  Vidya