Re: Re: optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching

From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:41:43 -0400

The reason is because one by one the database gave the same problem, all of them are similar,
and the same solution worked.
And I think anything is better than default values( specifically with this tow parameters),  or I'm wrong.

  If I correctly understand your post, what you are saying is that   the init.ora parms O_I_C_A and O_I_C were set on all your   databases because it helped a problem on two of them.

  This is not generally considered a good practice, that is, making   changes to a parameter with global implications without a specific   reason for doing so, and the testing to back it up.

  I once set these parameters on a database that houses an application   of somewhat questionable design. It did help, but I was really only   trying to fix a single query.

  So, I put the shotgun back in the cabinet, pulled out the laser scalpal   and created a histogram on a single column of a single table and   solved the problem.

  HTH   Jared

       "Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco" <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
         03/09/2004 12:25 PM
         Please respond to oracle-l

                To:        <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
                cc:
                Subject:        Re: Re: optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching

  I asked and this how it happened
  one database gave problem, then we found setting this parameters solved this   problem, then we set
  them ONLY in one database
  after about one year other database had the same problem, after some months   other,
  then we decided to set it to all at once.   because the worload is between and oltp and a dss, we don't have to change   it.
  That is why I suggest to set it, is better to have a more acurrate value set   in the database. in 9.2 windows

> the debate on this topic is exactly why we need to keep this list going.
  Thanks for all your help guys.

> > From: "Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco" <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
> > Date: 2004/03/09 Tue AM 08:19:01 EST
> > To: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
> > Subject: Re: optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching
> >
> > I'm using, because in a specific database a query gave trouble, and I
  fixed
> > it setting this parameters. Curiously in other production databases
  (more
> > than 15) similar to that, didn't gave that problem.
> > But we decided to set it any way.
> > I think is better to set them, even when in most situation there is not
> > problems.
> > :)

  Right