RE: ORACLE SUN vs AIX

From: Kevin Lange <klange_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:09:59 -0600

I have used them both as Oracle Database servers.

I found the utilities that came packed with AIX were, overall, much beter than those out of the box for Solaris. The System Administration menu system on AIX, its Volume Manager, Disaster Recovery, and the package management for Patches and fixes were , in my opinion, much easier to understand and use than anything in Solaris.

I have not had any dealings with Sun support so I can not say how they are. IBM support was good. But, depending on the size of your company and the size of your contract with them, support varried a lot.

I might be a bit biased though. At my last job I built the AIX system we used from the ground up so I got to know it inside and out. In my current job I have just been using the Solaris box that was built by another group. But, in my opinion, the AIX system was beter.

Of course ... if you use AIX you will be dealing with IBM and its normally higher cost for things.