Re: RE: !READ THIS Important Message!

From: <ryan.gaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 8:35:25 -0500

At the risk of alienating people from answering all my stupid questions... I personally feel that the attacks on Don Burleson in this case were much ado about nothing.

My take on his article was that if your in a hurry and you just have to get something done, you can cycle through a core list of things to try to fix a performance problem. I didn't see any real attack on 'scientific DBAs'. He was just pointing out an alternative.

I've been in quite a few situations lately where we need a stop gap measure to improve performance. I have done quite a few of the things that Don said to try in order to improve performance. Now, after I get things going again, I go back and look for a more general solution.

I have a feeling that if someone else wrote this same article it wouldn't have created any fuss at all. I actually find his classification of DBAs to be interesting.

Now, I still hope you guys answer my questions...