RE: How much memory takes roles, MAX_ENABLED_ROLES

From: Justin Cave (DDBC) <jcave_at_ddbcinc.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:42:30 -0700

Juan,

I am certain that there is some amount of memory required to maintain extra roles, but it is so minimal that you are never likely to care. If your database is so well tuned that a couple of kb worth of memory to store some extra roles is a factor, you would be better off than any other DBA on earth.

I suspect that there are manageability and performance reasons for limiting the number of roles. If you had thousands of roles assigned to a single user, it would be almost impossible to keep track of what that user is really allowed to do. If a user had thousands of roles assigned, Oracle has to do a lot more work to parse a SQL statement (or when a PL/SQL block with current_user authentication is run) because it's a lot more difficult to figure out whether the user has all the necessary privileges.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC