RE: oracle can ignore hints

From: R Zijlstra <rmsah_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:54:50 +0100

Excellent indeed...
As far as I now understand, Oracle can use a hint or it can use it not. The 'hinting behaviour' is not predictable, but it doesn't seem to hinder 'normal (?)' execution of sql.

Might it be possible, that hints are somehow tied in with a marketing policy when Oracle needed something to talk about??

Rob Zijlstra

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Dan Tow Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 10:32 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Actually, I was told by reliable sources (and this is consistent with events
I've observed) that it *tends* to be the later-created index, but in reality it
is just whichever index the optimizer happens to find first, which is not
strictly predictable, so apparently you cannot strictly count on the tie

continuing to break the same way it has in the past, or in any way you can
control, as long as there is a tie. This of course means that awkward things
can sometimes happen at awkward times, say a few hours before your end-of-
quarter. I've seen this happen, though it appears to be very rare.

Tie breaking on the CBO is much more sensibly predictable, favoring the lower-
sorted index based on the alphabetical order of the index names. Ties should
also be rarer in the CBO, though they are not as rare as you might imagine,
owing to rounding.

Dan Tow
dantow_at_singingsql.com
650-858-1557