Re: Re: Oracle 911 Article

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:24:42 +1100

> Why all that pessimism from sunny Australia? Don't tell me that it's
> realism, because nobody can flawlessly predict things that will happen the
> next years, let alone the next decades.

Not sharing one's optimism is not being pessimistic, Rob. I'm fully employed, at a much higher salary than average nowadays (touch wood). Had the good sense and clearness of mind to sense this crisis and got the horses off the rain so to speak, before it was too late. So, I'm happy. Although neither optimistic nor pessimistic.

The statements about unemployment are not mine. They come from a few analysts here who I consider quite cluey. And who have stopped living in lah-lah land and opened their eyes.
See here:
http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/01/1078117352254.html

Graham and I had a big disagreement on this subject. I was one of the people he refers to who e-mailed him two years ago and called him to reality on some of his optimistic rants. He's now turned around and agrees with us. As for the predictions: I can only provide facts to confirm their validity. Two years ago I passed my predictions to Graham. They are now facts. I rest my case.

> I see that the possibilities for work are (very) slowly getting better and
> think that end of this year I will have work again. Mind me, maybe not as
> good paying as I was used to, but money is not all.

You may live in a country where 51-year olds find employment easy. I can assure you that is not the case in Australia. Or AFAIK the US.

> on some third world country, it will be the end of outsourcing. In my eyes
> the situation has gone already to far.

Not far enough. It needs to go much further before it becomes bleeding obvious even to a politician that something is wrong.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia
dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au