Re: Re: Oracle 911 Article

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 18:19:25 +1100

> Expected revenue for an Oracle consultant was about 4x salary, but only
> about 1.3x the company's actual cost of the employee, when you include
> things like benefits, bonuses, training, management, administrative,
> legal, and so on. It's a rough business to try to stay in.

Sorry Cary. I ran my own company for 13 years after leaving Oracle, so I know very well how much an employee costs. It was not 1.3X delta, not in Australia. For starters, Oracle in Australia did not ONCE provide training to ANY of their consultants for the first 4 years of operation here. It may do so now, it didn't during the period I was referring to. As for bonuses: how do you spell that? Management: One HR person for the ENTIRE company? And so on.

No, the Financial Director at the time was a personal friend. We still play gold every once in a while. He told me ages ago how much it was. The company hardly needed to charge more than about 2X the salary cost of the consultant and it would be home. 4X was just way out there. And as I said: it increased.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia
dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au