Re: optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 16:04:11 -0700

Ryan,

My paper recommended setting O_I_C_A to a value calculated from observations from V$SYSTEM_EVENT for the wait-events "db file sequential read" and "db file scattered read". It does mention values like "10" and "50" in the very beginning of the paper, just to set expectations, but then recommends using observed values as it forward references the entire remainder of the paper.

The quote you mention came from the "Cut to the Chase" section in the very beginning, which was intended as an "executive summary" for those (PHB, CIOs, CTOs, VPs of IT, etc) who would not care to read all the way through. It was immediately followed by a section (comprising the remaining 95% of the text) entitled "The Rest of the Story"...

Hope this helps...

-Tim

P.S. Ironically, I do recommend a fixed value for O_I_C of 90, because I have never felt that it was worth the brain cycles to attempt to find a good observed value of the BCHR. Just set the thing to 90, accept the "discount" it provides on the cost calculation, and move on...