Re: 9i - ASSM

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 01:44:22 +0200

Hi Mark,

If you want to get some idea how ASSM and Freelist management work internally, check my presentation
http://integrid.info/Poder_Freelists_vs_ASSM.ppt

Unfortunately there is no paper, but there are pros and cons of both brought out in the last slides.

Personally I would go with ASSM if implementing a new system, especially if it's gonna be RAC.
But there have been and likely still are some bugs, such ASSM managed LOB segments (which are available starting from 9.2) not reusing free space, so be sure to test your configuration before going live. Check 10g release notes and see which ASSM related bugs they have fixed in that version, from there you can find out some of the problems which you might encounter in 9.2.

And don't take these claims seriously, that ASSM is slower "because if I inserted 1M records into an ASSM table, the full table scan took 2 more seconds than with freelist managed one". Real life systems don't just bulk insert once and do full table scans from there.

Tanel.