RE: Tuning 9i Database - after migrating from 8i. -

From: Michael Milligan <Michael.Milligan_at_ingenix.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:43:04 -0600

Great paper by Tim Gorman. Excellent.

-----Original Message-----
From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco [mailto:jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com] Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 1:13 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Tuning 9i Database - after migrating from 8i. -

you have to test what is the best for you, read
http://www.evdbt.com/SearchIntelligenceCBO.doc

> I have to admit that I am not a fan of changing them from their default
> values. In the databases I am, or have been, working with (Peoplesoft),
> changing them usually induces too many NL joins with disastrous
consequences.

> In Oracle 9i I would investigate the use of dbms_stats.gather_system_stats
> prior to attempting to tweak the O_I_C.. parameters. Joze Senegacnik
> reports good success with it. I myself do not have experience with 9i in a
> large enough production setting to say.
>
> At 10:32 AM 3/4/2004, you wrote:
>
> >I am trying to determine if setting the two spfile parameters
> >"optimizer_index_caching" and "optimizer_index_cost_adj" to values of
> >other than the default does actually enhance or degrade the SQL queries.
> >
> >So my questions are
> >1. Do you set these parameters ??
> >2. If you do what values work for you ??
> >3. What do you do in a case where it works for most but not for all of
> >your SQL??
> >
> >TIA.
> >
> >Yuval.
>
> Wolfgang Breitling
> Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
> Centrex Consulting Corporation
> http://www.centrexcc.com

recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.