Re: Tuning 9i Database - after migrating from 8i. -

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:01:27 -0500

OK, let'c clarify what will you achieve by setting optimizer_index_caching=90 and optimizer_index_cost_adj=25. That means that index block has approximately 90% chance to be cached and that reading index is 4 times cheaper then reading a table. What is a practical consequence? Practical consequence is that the optimizer is far more likely to chose an index plan with that setting, then without it. You can even say that optimizer will use an index, if it exists, which is the operating principle of RBO. In other words, with a setting like that, your CBO reverts into some form of RBO, but without "access method ranks". Which queries will suffer? The answer is very simple: the queries that were meant to utilize full table scans, like large reports or DSS type queries, are likely to discover indexes and suffer the consequences. Small and quick OLTP queries, which were written with RBO in mind, in the first place, will continue to behave well. Is that good or bad? That depends on your site. Mixed mode OLTP/DSS/Batch sites are a losing proposition any way you look at them. Having data guard replicate your reporting tables to an operational data store and then running reports from ODS is much better solution.