Re: Oracle File System.

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:54:16 +0200

IMO a good way to a keep flexibility while achieving performance is to keep datafiles on filesystem with directio and put just redologs on raw devices.

But for systems with high IO activity I often use LVM + RAW devices for both datafiles and redologs.

The complexity isn't that much higher and for high-performance systems some additional complexity isn't that much of issue either. And backup & recovery should novadays be done with RMAN anyway, so this raw device backup complexity issue becomes quite obsolete.

But, if you have a 2GB database with 5 users, then don't bother :)

Tanel.

> and you are unable to do diagnostics with o/s filesystem depended tools
like
> vmstat, sar (-d)
> (so your I/O is not visible on o/s layer)
>
> frits

like
> > taking back up,crash over recovery,etc ......
> >
> > 2. Is there any disadvantage for using the file system..........
> > like performance degrade.
> >
> > Please if any of you using the file system give the detail to us
.

> Oracle Internet File System presents oracle tables as files. It's just a
> presentation layer on top of the
> database. As databases are far more complex then file systems, that means
> that oracle IFS will be
> much slower then NFS or CIFS (to unix users known as Samba or SMB). On the
> other hand, loading things
> to and from the database will be reduced to copying things.

recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Thank you.