RE: Oracle File System.

From: John Flack <JohnF_at_smdi.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:49:12 -0500

I think Ranga is looking for advantages/disadvantages of storing database files as RAW as opposed to storing them in a file system, not for info on Oracle Internet File System.

Ranga -
RAW devices are going to make your database run faster, because Oracle can read and write directly to and from the disk, instead of requesting the operating system to provide this as a service. On the other hand, because your operating system does not own these disk partitions, it cannot provide the usual services like listing database files with a "ls" command, or showing free space with a "df". You will not be able to do a cold backup with os utilties "tar" or "cpio" - you'll need to use a command like "dd" that can operate on raw devices. However, if you use rman for backup and recovery, you probably won't care that you can't use tar or cpio.

Anyone else want to shed some light?