Update on : Fwd: RE: More Latch Stats : was re Fwd: Re: Library Cache Latch statis tics

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:09:15 +0800

A quick update on this email thread ...

I did go ahead and set _kgl_latch_count=17, _kgl_bucket_count=6 and play around with _spin_count [take it up to 4000] to act on the high waits and sleeps on the library cache.
On 8.1.7 on Tru64, I found that _spin_count was defaulting to 256, not 2000.

Now, the library cache latch isn't a serious issue, although there are still high waits
and sleeps. cache buffer chains and multiblock read objects latches are the next highest.
I need to concentrate on the SQLs causing far too many [logical] I/Os, including FTSs.

The particular view and function I talked about in my previous email still exist and we
are trying to reduce the usage till we can get some other code to implement that functionality.
Hemant

>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:06:08 +0800
>To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
>From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
>Subject: RE: More Latch Stats : was re Fwd: Re: Library Cache Latch
> statis tics
>Sender: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
>

>John,
>
>Re
>"I was think of the high recursive SQL counts... If this new process uses a
>view, and has to parse it, be aware that the View definitions will not be
>found in the shared pool and this may drive recursive (SYS) SQL calls to get
>this information. If this connects to the APPS user rather than directly to
>schema owner, the former would access it via the view in APPS while the
>latter will not require a view (and possibly reduce recursive calls?)"
>
>What I've found is that the particular view used in the query also calls a
>function.
>The View definition goes something like
>
>SELECT col1, FUNCTIONX.col2, FUNCTIONX.col3, col4
>FROM ...
>WHERE
>
>and FUNCTIONX itself is a complicated PLSQL block.
>

>The remote database uses an MV and refreshes it as COMPLETE refresh
>[since this is a complex view], with a SELECT * FROM <view>
>
>What happens is that the Function PLSQL block is being executed repeatedly !!
>
>The View and Function are in the APPS schema and the remote database connects
>as another database account with SELECT on the view.
>
>Hemant
>
>At 04:25 PM 16-02-04 -0800, you wrote:
> >Hemant,
> >
> > >I have been able to identify
> > >1. A Process which is a DBLink connect from a remote database
> > >that runs
> > >the same SQL
> > >a few thousand times in the space of a few minutes [I didn't
> > >get the actual
> > >counts before the session disconnected,
> > >but apparently it connects a few times a day and may remain
> > >connected for
> > >minutes to hours ]
> > >I will be following up on this on Monday -- this has been a "new"
> > >implementation in the remote database
> >
> >I was think of the high recursive SQL counts... If this new process uses a
> >view, and has to parse it, be aware that the View definitions will not be
> >found in the shared pool and this may drive recursive (SYS) SQL calls to get
> >this information. If this connects to the APPS user rather than directly to
> >schema owner, the former would access it via the view in APPS while the
> >latter will not require a view (and possibly reduce recursive calls?)
> >
> > >2. The standard Forms query on Concurrent Request status
> > >having been fired
> > >a few million times
> > >in 10 days. I do wonder if some user just sits there and
> > >keeps querying
> > >concurrent requests
> >
> >Look at something like OAM (Oracle Applications Manager) that could have
> [...]

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional http://hkchital.tripod.com {last updated 24-Jan-04} "Failure is not an option.
It comes bundled with the software
[or hardware, as the case may be]"