RE: db file parallel write

From: Lim, Binley <Binley.Lim_at_NBNZ.CO.NZ>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:22:41 +1300

Assuming "nothing has changed" is right, problems that suddenly appear, and persist, is likely due to hardware-related issues.

In a previous role, I came a across a similar situation (Solaris server + Netapp) where everything went on a go-slow one fine day. CPU time (sys) shot up to 60-70% whereas normal operation would see it around 20%. Truss shows lots of "poll" syscalls. Filer I/O was also high, but apparently this was not to be interpreted literally, according to the vendor. First question everyone asked was "what has changed"?

After the DBA/sysadmins went around verifying and "proving" that nothing has changed, the vendors replaced a couple of disks, controller boards on the Filer, network cards on both sides, and even changed to different ports on the switch, and the problem went away. Go figure...

This communication is confidential and may contain privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or retain it. If you have received it in error please immediately notify me by return email and delete the emails.
Thank you.